Friday, January 19, 2018

In Class Assignment, Into the Depths by Alan Donoho

                Growing up a favorite pastime of most children during the summer is to go swimming. For myself, going near a swimming pool was an absolute nightmare. This is caused by how many times I've almost drowned. I had countless number of swimming lessons to try and learn how to swim, however because of my asthma I have never been able to reach a level of ability high enough to make swimming easy for me. The fear I had developed also made it near impossible for me to try and learn how to swim. Eventually, I was able to conquer my fear at scout camp. I did this by counting up and then down before jumping into the water. Ever since then before I jump into any body of water I count to myself to prepare my mind for going under water. Aquaphobia is the fear of water. While my fear is not as extreme as having a breakdown when getting near water, I used to not be able to near swimming pools because of my fear of going under water.


5 comments:

  1. My cousins were always really scared of swimming and going into the water. This helps me understand a little bit of why they might have been so scared.
    -Bailey West

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fear of water too but only pools.It's weird. I almost drowned so I guess that's a reason why I'm so fearful. Even when i'm not near a pool the smell of chlorine makes me feel like i'm drowning on land. Its great, I get nauseous, my fight or flight is activated, its great. The kicker though is that I'll still get in a swimming pool. #Callmeamasochist but bobbing in the pool is still fun.

    -Dianesa Sanon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen Paxtor: I actually really love the water.....but I can't swim. I try to swim. I actually love to float in the middle of the lake but I will admit that if I think about what is underneath me that I don't know or I can't see does freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan,

    I completely understand your fear. I, too, have had near drowning experiences and have since been hesitant to enter any body of water. I only recently learned to swim, but it is still not easy to swim. Thank you for sharing!

    -Aly Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  5. After watching a Titanic documentary, I had this weird fear that suddenly the bottom of the pool would disappear and I would see that hulking wreak under me. So your fear makes total sense because it is actually plausible!

    ReplyDelete

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...