Friday, January 19, 2018

In class assignment, Eight-Legged Freaks by Carter Messner






             In class assignment, Eight-Legged Freaks by Carter Messner

       When I was younger, I had an irrational fear of spiders. Whenever I would see a spider I would freak out and try to get away from it as fast as I could. You would think that a young boy would love bugs but spiders were not bugs to me, they were spawn of the devil. I was so terrified I wouldn't even be able to kill even the smallest of spiders, it was totally irrational but even to this day I try to stay away from spiders. There was one dream I had when I was around 12 which I still remember vividly because it was so scary. I was in my bedroom at night lying in bed in the dream, and in the corner of my room coming out of the shadows was a giant spider which pounced on me, wrapping me in webs. I was screaming "SPIDERS" in my sleep, because when I woke up my parents were in my room asking what I was yelling about 

The reason I would say I had this fear and had dreams about spiders attacking me, is that I had seen the last movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, where Frodo is first chased by a giant spider named Shelob, then he was stabbed by the spiderand was wrapped up by the spider in a cocoon of web. This I believe created a deep fear of spiders that lasts to this day. I would like to lose this fear eventually because spiders are all around us, at all times of the days and they have yet to attack me. 

2 comments:

  1. Kathleen Paxtor: I hate spiders so much. If I see one I spray them with some chemical and wait for them to die because I am afraid that if I swat it the spider will jump on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that spiders are so universally hated that they have been entwined with myth and popular fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...