Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Bonus 9: Who Has the Right? -Sam U


I also struggle with this topic and I ultimately come to accept that works such as Wonder are necessary to understand the differences of people across all cultures or circumstances. Story telling may contain many truths, lies, exaggerations and censored or uncensored content. Writing novels on sensitive topics is more than likely a huge responsibility that is assumed by one person and a hard task to accomplish. As readers, it is our own responsibility to interpret these stories as we see best because only the authors themselves truly understand the motives and feelings they are trying to convey behind every sentence/scene.  

Even if authors attempted, they simply cannot tailor each and every single one of their stories to fit or ‘please’ every one’s sensitivity spectrum or point of views. This may seem a bit harsh but in the end, I believe anyone is entitled to say or feel whatever they like. Authors tend to go based off of their own research, feelings and experiences. Therefore, it is easier to have an open mind and try to understand where they are coming from as opposed to disputing it all. Their works should be respected for what they are even if you don’t agree. Whether they are factual, non-factual, valid or not valid it is solely up to ourselves to pick our truths. Just like no one can actually live a day in another person’s life– we can try to empathize much like the authors do.

Authors understand that mass criticism is a consequence of publishing novels and directing movies. If their work was socially acceptable or not, it doesn’t change the fact that it was already created. Certain things I come across do upset me but I try to brush it off and continue my search of what is morally right for me and my set of values. I also try to remind myself that it isn’t the first or the last of its kind. New movies and books are written every year! I simply cannot taunt my entire existence due to a piece of work I didn’t find myself to agree with.

It is certainly saddening to see how some stories are taken, misrepresented and unfairly told but that is only one voice. Allow me to further explain, I am not trying to justify anyone for any reason but there’s plenty of other authors and voices patiently waiting to be discovered. Hopefully, learning from previous authors tackling similar subjects with the intention to improve and encourage honest pieces of work. Furthermore, to account for all the bad works we should encourage only those who aim towards telling truth. Not every piece of work needs to receive attention or recognition. If it is badly constructed the numbers will show.

      Overall, as individuals we all have differences. No one and everybody has a right to tell a story of another person. Freedom of speech allows everyone to have their own voice and this is very powerful because we can’t essentially change or regulate what authors decide to do within their stories. They will  continue to do so regardless if we think they have the right or not to tell the story of another person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...