Monday, February 5, 2018

Post 1, Group B: Grief is the Real Monster By Dianesa Sanon

I came across "The Babadook" first as it made its appearance as an internet meme and again when my boyfriend suggested that I watched it. I am a horror fanatic- from haunted houses to Until Dawn and scary books to the things alike. I love to be scared. So I was down for watching a horror film at 3am made possible by Netflix, may you reign notoriously forever.
The movie stars a mother, Amelia, and her young boy in London in a dreary grey house. The movie takes place at the nearing of the anniversary of her husband's death and incidentally her son, Samuel's, birthday. The boy is really intelligent and often gets into trouble in school because he isn't social and often doesn't filter what he says before he says it. His mother is a frail woman who tries her best to make it through each day but still she never really has gotten over the pain of her husband's death. As the story progresses she becomes sketchier as a character and in some aspect more scarier than the Babadook itself, who is a crudely-drawn shadowy tall man from a children's book who is, my guess, is written by the Amelia, the mother.
Image result for amelia babadook

The fear of grief is the theme of this horror movie. For the longest time, I believed that Amelia was the Babadook but as the movie went on i realized the only reason the Babadook was able to be manifested was because she let it. In the movie, as the day of her husband's death gets nearer she becomes less and less "human". Samuel, her son, is seen gathering weapons and setting traps because "it's coming" and is constantly telling his mother to "not let it in." As time passes through the more and more he mentions the presence of the "it" she becomes angrier and angrier insisting that he needs to grow up and stop going on about something that doesn't exist.

In the movie, while she is facing off with the Babadook, the monster takes the face of her late husband she has to fight to beat down the grief she has to save her son who has been captured. She yells "I'm not afraid of you!" until the monster is reduced down to nothing more than just a top hat and coat. Later the grey color of the movie is gone and replaced with more color. Inside the basement, she keeps the Babadook and feeds it worms. 
Image result for sam babadook
The obvious theme of fear is in the movie but there is also the aspect that we are our scariest monster when we are faced off with something as heavily laden as grief. When Samuel begged his mother to "not let him in" he was asking more than just letting the monster into the house after notoriously raps on the door. He is asking that she keeps out the bad depressive emotions that cause her to act like a monster. Again when he mentions that "he's coming" Samuel means more than just the Babadooks arrival. Samuel tells everyone at school that his birthday is coming, but he also never fails to mention that his father died the same day. Samuel knows that as his birthday approaches his mother becomes a whole different person. In the movie, as the day gets closer the family dog stays near Samuel and hardly ever leaves his side and meets his end after barking protectively to keep the possessed by anger and grief Amelia away from her son via neck break. Again, in the end, Ameila keeps the Babadook cellar under the stairs and feeds him worms. I made the connection that worms usually signify death and decay and her feeding it was a way of her accepting the grief and moving forward. As she feeds it the gruel she still seems to fear the creature but she isn't crippled by the fear. Before descending into the basement Samuel asks if he can come along and feed it with her but she tells him he is too young now and can maybe do so when he is older. I understood this as the author's way of saying that because Samuel is too young to understand the grief of losing someone much less the loss of someone you never knew would be too much for him so he had to wait till he could better cope with it as an adult.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dianesa,

    Wow, you describe the film in an eerie and moving way. You mention that the correlation between the mother and the Babadook increases throughout the film along with Sam's fear to the point that he is no longer able to properly function in school. I saw the movie as well and I would even add that the mother breaks down as well, not only is her mental health fragile but both her and Sam feed the babadook with their fear and energy. I would consider the possibility that perhaps this film is about family and mental health because their actions are destroying themselves.

    Something creepy about the film is the fact that the Babadook lives in the basement and they continue to feed it. I agree with you when you say that the although she is no longer overwhelmed with fear, a little remains inside her. This is important because it is realistic. Our fears will probably always be fears, but it is how we handle those fears that truly matter.

    -Aly Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I never saw that movie before, it gives me the creep. I mean, I’m not a huge fan of horror fanatic movie, but that movie amused me. I can see why Amelia was mentally ill and how much her son Samuel cannot behave appropriately in school because it’s been so hard ever since Amelia’s husband who was Samuel’s father died, and that’s what drove them miserably. I can relate to Samuel because, for me, I’m not much of a social person and I hate being in the center of the attention. It did happen in real life when you lost your loved ones; you could go insane, mad, hurt, and it’ll be hard for you to erase your pain and suffering.

    -Kendra ZeMenye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianesa,
    I too am a horror fanatic. While reading your synopsis of the movie, "The Babadook" I couldn't help but to be captivated on the last part when you drew the conclusion of the mother feeding the Babadook worms. I loved how you connected the worms with death and decay and how she would feed the Babadook to keep the fear at bay. When I saw this movie, I interpreted this gesture of her remembering her dead husband. Although she fears the Babadook, she couldn't help but to keep the thought of her husband alive. I always thought that this gesture of feeding the Babadook was alluding to her remembering her husband (the whole reason she was frail and decrepit in the beginning). If I could make a suggestion, is to, watch the amount of colloquialisms you use when giving a detail synopsis of a movie. These colloquialisms can be slightly "out of term" when speaking about fear.
    Overall, Good job!
    -Kyle Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about the Babadook as a meme but was never sure what the movie was about. I'm a fan of horror movies too and the way you described it sounds pretty good! I might have to check it out. I think the meanings you drew from it are interesting as well. At first when you were describing it I couldn't really tell what the purpose or deeper meaning for the movie would be. However, your connections put it into perspective. How you described the meaning of the worms and how the Babadook symbolized grief helped to provide a bigger picture of what the movie meant.
    - Bailey West

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a person who doesn't like being scared, so the fact that you can watch scary movies is impressive. I remember hearing about this movie when it was put in an LGBTQ category on Netflix on accident, which then blew up on the internet. I had no real want to watch this movie so it was nice to learn more about it, and I believe your analysis of this film is well thought out and really good
    -Carter

    ReplyDelete

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...