Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Bonus 4: Cultural Appropriation.


Cultural appropriation is a topic that I feel has been prevalent in regards to media recently. There have a number of times where the media has tried to discern if influencers (also known as celebrities) have wrongly impeded on a particular culture and its discourse. The SBS article we read proves this with numerous examples. Speaking from personal experience, I have assumed a slightly negative connotation with the term simply because certain events that have transpired in media. My personal opinion is also bias towards my personal experiences or encounters with cultural appropriation. I have witnessed encounters where the perception, or connotation, pertaining to something in particular is changed once another culture adopts the fashion or trend. My opinion on the matter of cultural appropriation is simply seen as: the community who’s culture has been assimilated or appropriated is the ultimate judge of if the appropriation is deemed negative or positive.
For example, I went to a school where the dreadlock hairstyle was not accepted. Having this regulation could very well be seen as marginalizing a particular community. Dreadlocks historically has been associated with the African American community and is a specific part of their culture. With that being said, the school that I formerly attended has now taken progressive steps and has discontinued that hair regulation. A change in administration within the school also saw that former rule as a possible way of marginalizing a particular community, which supported his decision in discontinuing the rule. On the contrary, as my school formerly deemed that hairstyle unacceptable, when someone of another race adopted that same hairstyle it was deemed as “innovative” high fashion, that young woman of another race being Kylie Jenner. I do not have a particular opinion on who I feel can wear the particular hair style but I do feel that stigmas should be the same between cultures. I think that this particularly goes into the concept of “privilege” and oppression. Different cultures combat various types of oppression and stigmas. In result of this, there will be different interactions or reactions to various community performative actions. The Kylie Jenner and Amandla Astenberg incident is an example of the viewpoint that I could agree with concerning cultural appropriation. I agreed with Amandla when she spoke of supporting the culture which one impedes on. She stated in response to Kylie Jenner’s viral cornrow Instagram post, “when you appropriate black features and culture but fail to use your position of power to help black Americans..” I also feel as if that someone emulates a culture, out of appreciation or adoration, then at least they should support the community should they face any type of oppression. I feel as if you should support any community that is facing any form of oppression to say the least as a moral “obligation.” I also feel like dreadlocks having an initial negative connotation is stereotypical and complex in its organic origin.
This is not to say that others are not able to emulate out of respect, fascination or adoration but that if the culture deems the appropriation to be disrespectful to their specific discourse, then others should respect their perception. This is supported by the part of the video where the drag queen allowed the other drag queen who was a part of that culture or community to deem if it was acceptable appropriation or not saying, “You can say that, I can’t.” I feel that this should be common practice as it common courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...