Wednesday, February 7, 2018

*Bonus--Questioning Religion by Kathleen Paxtor

I think that to a certain point religious leaders should have to back up their information with a source. I don’t think it matters where the source come from as long as they state it. I do believe that any religion is based on pure belief and faith; you choose to believe what you want. Growing up in a religious household I was taught to never question and just agree, thankfully my leader was never one to say harmful things. As I’ve gotten older I ask, ask, ask. If I ever am confused about something I make sure to always ask and do research myself. Unfortunately, that is not the case with others; I have heard some horrendous things come out of the mouths of men who swear they live by the Lord’s way. I think that when such radical proclamations are made the audience and followers should be given more detailed information. The followers need to know the source so they can decide if it is reliable or not.

 I think that the bigger problem with all of this is that when religious leaders preach the followers are taught to just accept it. Just accepting it and never questioning is what leads people into thinking radically. People have this negative connotation about asking and questioning because it makes it seem like they are questioning God.  I personally don’t believe that; I feel like the Bible (the main source of most religious leaders—or any religious book) is left to interpretation, and as much as it can be very direct there are topics that are written about very vaguely. It is like reading any other book; it can be left to interpretation. If the followers of any religion could just wander beyond what it told I think the minds of many wouldn’t be so closed-off. For me, I believe that asking questions keeps me closer to God, I want to know that I am doing the right thing the right way; sometimes I might not necessarily agree with the answer I receive and research myself and come to my own conclusion. I think that is what faith is based on, you coming to terms with what you believe in.


A blind following is a problem with many religions. I’m really interested in different cults and cult leaders, and trying to see what goes on in their minds. I recently watched two documentaries on Netflix called, “Holy Hell” and “Childrenof God” and both of the documentaries show a wave of blind following. These documentaries are perfect examples of how people just listen and follow. The followers of these cults did things that would seem wrong to most people but that is what they were taught to do. Listen, follow, and never ask. For example, the Children of God cult was based off Christianity but was perversely skewed to have a different motive. They believed that the only thing women were good for was sex. Women and girls (yes children) were used as a way of pleasure of men. They would send out women to prostitute themselves and call it “flirty fishing” to gain followers. The women complied because they were TOLD that it was the will of God. The only form of information they had was the person they were following. Stating resources, especially outside resources, are important to make sure that people do not get persuaded so quickly. If religious leaders truly believe what they are preaching they would find a way to make sure their followers aren’t misguided and cite their sources. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...