Monday, March 5, 2018

Bonus 5- The Olympics: Why it's important?

 The Olympics is a topic that my family discusses all of the time. Not, until last year did I really become interested in the Olympics.  The only sports I usually watch during the Olympics are track, and tennis. Track was a big sport to watch in my household because my dad ran track in high school and college. The year of 2016, was the first year I watched swimming during the Olympics that was located in Rio. Yes, I believe the Olympics has an important value within them. The importance I see is not on the mastering level but the overcoming stereotypes level, and the international relationship building. According to Ed Koch, Stereotypes lose their power when the world is found to be more complex than the stereotype would suggest. When we learn that individuals do not fit the group stereotype, then it begins to fall apart. Such as in the recent 2016 Olympics, Simone Manuel the first black woman to earn an individual swimming gold medal. Ms. Manuel was a 20-year-old African American woman who was 5,10 and 148 pounds. She swam the 100m freestyle at a time of 52:60, while tying against a Canadian woman.


Swimming is not an activity often encourage in the black community and it is seen as horrifying.  There are several stereotypes of African americans not being able to swim fast. Also, many people have tried to put a relationship between the genetic build of African americans versus Whites as a reason they can swim. Simone Said in her interview, “The title of black swimmer suggests that I am not supposed to win golds or break records, but that’s not true because I train hard and want to win just like everyone else.” Events that happen like this are reason why it is important the Olympics are important to me, by this one-win Simone has surely inspired several girls around the country who might not fit in the category of the “norm”, for a great swimmer in contrast of height, weight, or color. I believe there is a value in every talent a person has. It is exciting for me and It amazes me to see someone exceed and be excellent in an activity I know that I could never do. Also, with breaking down barriers for culture the Olympics also helps cultures While watching the Olympics it is very important because you get to see several cultures competing against one another, breaking stereotypes, and world records. The Olympics also helps children growing up who may not believe that they are capable or can be capable of accomplishing something’s that they don’t believe they genetically, culturally, or physically can. When you label somebody and put them in a box, then you put the lid on the box, and you just never look inside again. I think it's much more interesting for human beings to look at each other's stories and see each other. Really see each other and then see themselves through other people's stories. That's where you start to break down stereotypes stated by Stephanie Beatriz.  It, is very important that we as Americans, and human beings as a whole take all that when can and learn all that we can when history is in the making with open eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...