Monday, March 12, 2018

Bonus 6: Art Vs. Artist


As it pertains to the Oscars, I have always been on the outside looking in. I have known people to rave about them on outlets of social media, talk about it in conversation and even host watch parties for them! I have always been one of those people who hears that something worth watching actually happened on any award show and then and only then proceeds to watch the raved clip online. I can attribute my lack of urgency to watch these award shows to the fact that I do not watch the movie or shows that would win awards for the varying prominent points. Ultimately, it would be literally pointless for me to watch The Oscars or any award show for that manner. Despite my lack of immersion in the art that is award shows, I do have an opinion on who I feel should receive awards. I believe that while an artist should be properly reprimanded for his or her actions, the art that they created should not be penalized (or deemed less than) because of the artist actions.
I am a strong advocate for those receiving proper repercussion for their actions in any regard. While I am an advocate for that concept, I am also an avid supporter of the arts and the affects that it can have on a person. I have seen and felt the effects of various modes of art.
From birth, until now, and continuing until our last day on Earth, we have received a number of messages of what to do and what not to do. We have been taught these things by our parents, social media, laws, etc. With that being said, we are aware of the “moral evils” that we should never commit such as killing, raping, or abuse in any form. I would argue that even though every single culture and subculture existing is vastly different, none of the cultures support killing or raping.
Knowing this, I would pose the argument that people are capable of separating the artist and their wrongdoing from the way that the art. If the artist was not corrupt or did not commit a particular act- the art would still have the same feeling. I agree with the sentiments of Ridley Scott of compromising the artist and not the art. Art can be used as a powerful tool and I would hate for the world to miss out on phenomenal art and concepts because of the artist mistakes.
Relating this to the James Franco situation, I feel that he should be recognized for the work that he has done if he deserves it but also recognized for the wrong he has done. According to Los Angeles Times, “Academy members snubbed James for his work in “The Disaster Artist” after he was accused in January by five women of inappropriate or sexually exploitative behavior, which he has denied.” This is an inhumane solution to alleged allegations. Showing both sides to the artist I feel promotes a sense of accountability for the artist while simultaneously appreciating his or hers art.
Overall, I feel that separation and accountability for artist work and wrongdoing is a happy medium for this controversial subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...