Sunday, May 13, 2018

Class Review by Kyra Moore


Prior to coming in this Discourse, I had negative connotations about a three hundred level Discourse class. I had heard a number of horrifying stories such as 20 page long papers and 15 minute speeches. To my surprise, I have grown to love this class and its subject matter- it was actually my favorite class this semester! This class has taught me and enlightened me in a number of manners. It has been the source of a number of conversations that I have had with my friends. The topics brought up in this class has also been centerpieces for an on campus radio show that my friends and I conduct titled Melanin Nights. I feel that this class has done the mission of what a class should do- make you a better student and teach you something of substance. Discourse 300 with Miss Casady has indeed done both of these things for me. With all of that being said, I don’t have any major criticism pertaining to this class. It was rather enjoyable and actually a rather relaxing supplement in my life. I enjoy the act of Discourse and bring up engaging yet controversial topics and this is exactly what this class allotted me.
I would have to say the most enjoyable part of this class has by far been the bonuses. I loved the intellectual conversation that those prompts brought up. I enjoy and encourage thoughts that are different than mine but are rooted in logical thought. I also liked how the bonuses, some of them, kept up or correlated with current events happening in society. I definitely feel as I have learned a number of things worthwhile in this class. I feel as if I would not have known about some of these events had I not been enrolled in this class. Continuing this class, I feel that the bonus was a great additive and was also a helpful tool for students.
Speaking of helpful tools, I greatly appreciated the compassion and level of understanding that Miss Casady had with our class. She was very open, understanding and relatable with our class- which ultimately contributed to the fact of this being one of my favorite classes that I have taken thus far in my collegiate career. Every time I would “check in” with her before writing a piece for class, she always had a refreshing and open mind set. While she was open and understanding, she also held us accountable for the things that were assigned in class.      In regards to the blogs, I was a fan of them! The blog was chill but was still an outlet for our academic writing. I was a fan of the structure of the class as a whole. Requiring me to read the writing of other students made me aware of the things that my peers feel are important or are at least worth writing about. The texts were also good choices I feel as well! Some of them I had already read but that may be attributed to the fact that I took advanced college credit English courses in high school. Nevertheless, they are classics that I feel everyone should read. Overall, this has been of the best classes that I have taken and I have no major criticism regarding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resubmissios Essay

Throughout this essay I will be discussing the skills that I need to work on with it being personal skills and skills that pert...